Banoffee Pie may sound complicated but it is one of the easiest British desserts to make and also one that got me liking bananas. I don’t quite like that fruit, I’m more of a berries, raisins, cherries, blackberries, strawberries, sultanas, pomegranates person. Did I mention strawberries?
So a banoffee pie is primarily made out of bananas, cream, caramel and to give you a kick- chocolate is used as topping. The only trouble I had was finding a jar of ready made caramel. In Dubai, Nestle does not stock it’s very popular Carnation Caramel and I don’t know how to make it at home so I scoured Dubai for ready made caramel, spoke to friends, colleagues, even asked The Question Company but in vain. Yes, I tried Marks & Spencer as well but nothing! After days of searching and almost giving up, I finally located it at Carrefour in Oasis Center Mall. It was hiding among other jams and ready made spreads.
There are some recipes that ask for the baking of the crust of the pie etc etc. I found an alternative to that. Here’s the easy recipe:
It really depends how big or small your tart tin is- I used a medium sized one so accordingly, the measurement is as follows:
- 1 small pack of Digestive cookies
- 3/4th cup of solid butter
- 2 ripe bananas (throw in an additional one if you are a banana fan)
- 1 jar caramel
- 2 cups whipping cream (or heavy cream)
- Chocolate, for garnishing- I used Flakes (easy way out)
- Crush the cookies and mix with the butter. Press them into the base of the tart tin and keep it in the refrigerator for about 20mins or until it is set. It doesn’t take too long.
— Spread spoonfuls of caramel onto the base until it is covered (a thin to medium layer of caramel should do just fine). Place it in the fridge for about 45mins to an hour.
- Once the caramel has set, cut the banana and top the slices over the biscuit and caramel base. Spread the whipped cream over the banana slices.
— Top this with chocolate shavings.
And you are done!
P.S. Again- this was the only (blurred) pic I could take before chowing it down